Mottsy Logo Design Movie

I recently completed a logo design for Mottsy – an innovative, online printing company. The client was really interested in the creative process and asked me to record my screen during the development of the logo. This time-lapsed movie is the result. (Be sure to hit the expand button in the bottom right corner to view it full size.)

At first I was a little self-conscious recording my screen…it felt like someone was looking over my shoulder, watching me design the logo. But eventually I got used to it, and it was an fun experiment. I’m not sure how interesting it is to watch me look through hundreds of fonts, scan sketches, plot points, check email, change songs in iTunes, etc. Let me know what you think…it helps that we sped it up. And threw a little music in there. Thanks, Jeff.

The following logos and variations are what I presented to the client. They ultimately chose the first one which I actually didn’t capture on video. Oh well, still a fun look behind the scenes at the brand identity development process.

mottsy_01

mottsy_02

mottsy_03

mottsy_04

mottsy_05

mottsy_06

mottsy_06b

mottsy_07

mottsy_08

mottsy_09

mottsy_10

mottsy_11

After we explored a lot of color variations, we ended up pretty close to the original concept.

mottsy_13

This is the final logo. We developed the tagline and their brand positioning as well. Keep an eye on Mottsy.com – they should be launching their site in September. Should be pretty cool.

- Ty + 7.18.09 | 6:52 pm

111 Comments

Ty, this was amazing- I’m so glad you did this. I loved getting to peek into your creative process!

- Cathi + 7.18.09 | 8:34 pm

Ty, incredible. You have captured the process of design so well in this little video. Not only did I relate to the process, but the work is incredibly creative and inspiring!

- Bill Chiaravalle + 7.18.09 | 9:17 pm

Awesome! I can only imagine what mine would look like if I recorded ir!

- Diane Faye Zerr + 7.19.09 | 8:21 am

Looks great man. I love seeing stuff like this.

- Aaron Martin + 7.20.09 | 7:15 am

Thanks for sharing the making of this project. It’s hard to select the one I like best, as I don;t know the business, but they had great stuff to chose from.

- dentednj + 7.20.09 | 12:21 pm

thank you for this. awesome job! it was great to watch the design process. i hope to see more.

- Raquel Buckley + 7.20.09 | 12:26 pm

Yeah, very cool. It’s awesome to see how another designer works. The one they picked is pretty kick ass as well!!

- Marek Hosek + 7.20.09 | 12:37 pm

That was a lot of fun Ty, thanks for sharing!

- Jeff Andrews + 7.20.09 | 4:36 pm

Ty- That piece was amazing. Reminds me of an Apple commercial.

- Kraig Kalashian + 7.20.09 | 6:18 pm

Ty – holy crap that is cool! I so need to learn Illustrator better…and is that the music from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure????? Love it!

- Sara Kalashian + 7.20.09 | 7:18 pm

Thanks, everyone! Glad you enjoyed this. I will plan on doing it again on the next logo project. I will also get this comment thing fixed so it doesn’t make the blog look weird.

- Ty + 7.20.09 | 7:40 pm

Super cool video! Glad people can see the process! This could be used when billing a client for design time!

- Scott + 7.20.09 | 10:05 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! It’s always nice to see the processes that other people go through.

- Amanda + 7.20.09 | 10:20 pm

Pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing the process.

But, seriously, perfect choice on accompanying music!

- William + 7.20.09 | 11:08 pm

Fantastic and great result.

- Matt Trimarchi + 7.20.09 | 11:39 pm

Truly & amazingly fun to watch. Something scary about how one tend to work exactly in the same way! Thanks for sharing!

- Simen Grankel + 7.21.09 | 1:22 am

Interesting video and a really nice end product, congratulations. Out of interest, which program did you use to capture the desktop?
Cheers.

- Sam + 7.21.09 | 5:25 am

Wow!! I am totally overwhelmed with the response to the video! Thanks for all of the comments and compliments! While I was recording it, I thought I might be creating the world’s most boring movie ever…glad that everyone likes it. Sam, I used iShowU HD to record the screen. Pretty cool little app – I think it was 30 bucks.

- Ty + 7.21.09 | 9:38 am

Not boring at all, and a great insight into some of the routine tasks us designers go through.

- David Airey + 7.21.09 | 10:26 am

I wish every client could see this video so they would stop saying things like “why does it cost so much, it’s just a bunch of circles and some type?”

- Joe Breiter + 7.21.09 | 2:12 pm

Hey, that was cool, i totally relate with it, and is good to see the way others work, it would be good to have that video in real time to show clients before they see prices, he he!

- Pablo Marin + 7.21.09 | 3:34 pm

Ty, this came out great! :)

- Jeff Rogers + 7.21.09 | 8:10 pm

for a design dabbler, this is so encouraging, and what is that perfectly upbeat and energizing music? thanks so much!

- patty + 7.22.09 | 12:12 pm

The music is from Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure. A classic.

- Ty + 7.22.09 | 12:19 pm

Great! I loved it! Awesome job!

- Rafael + 7.22.09 | 5:57 pm

That’s is exactly the process! I feel like I should invoice someone after watching it!

- Linda + 7.22.09 | 10:13 pm

Excellent. That’s pretty much my process, especially the hours going through FontExplorer with your finger permanently on the down button!
Every potential/existing client should be shown that to get an idea of the hard graft that goes into creating a logo or if they ever question their invoice.

- andy + 7.23.09 | 5:40 am

You are an awesome designer. Thanks for sharing.

-Greg

- Gregory Gilmer + 7.24.09 | 2:59 pm

This video is THE definitive argument against cheap/crowdsourced/99 logo designs!

- Catherine Azzarello + 7.26.09 | 9:10 am

Absolutely fantastic! And potentially a great tool to show new clients just how much effort goes into creating their logo. Well done!

- Koodoz Design + 7.26.09 | 10:55 pm

This is brilliant! It’s great to get a peek into a designer’s work flow, and the music just made it epic.

- Alison Rowan + 7.26.09 | 11:34 pm

I enjoyed watching how you designed the logo from the ground up. In similar fashion, before I moved strictly to web design, I would sketch my ideas. The success rate of sketching and thinking through the different concepts was astounding. Great job and great design!

- Skylar Hartman + 7.27.09 | 3:02 pm

Thanks TY, I’ll check iShow out.

- Sam + 7.28.09 | 3:29 am

Very fun! Posted this in this week’s LogoLounge.com news.
Cathy

- Cathy Fishel + 7.30.09 | 8:56 am

Thanks for the big smile that video brought to my face today.

- Astrid + 8.3.09 | 12:51 am

Wow! You have a huge screen estate, what monitor are you using and it’s resolution?

Cool video! Nice logo!

- Rom + 8.3.09 | 9:29 pm

Very, very interesting! Thank you very much for the insight into your design process.

- Krzysztof Rondomański + 8.5.09 | 1:31 pm

Great work guys – very well done – this is a very cool execution. And the logo rocks too !

- Darren Wilson + 8.7.09 | 1:51 pm

Some lovely designs. I know how you feel about showing your work in progress, but there’s a lot of misunderstanding about still regarding the amount of time and effort that goes into putting together a quality piece of branding like this. This kind of video can really help to counter that misunderstanding. Thanks.

- Sam + 8.14.09 | 3:37 am

wow that´s very nice – must post this on my blog! THX

- fabz + 8.16.09 | 5:25 am

I’m going to play devils advocate here. Brand design isn’t about looking pretty. What does this have to show about printing? Looking at the logo with no context, this could be for any company.

- Randy + 11.1.09 | 4:04 pm

I’m a student of communication arts and this video helped me a lot. I’m going to show it to my class.
Btw, the logo is great.

- Bel + 11.8.09 | 12:57 pm

This has to be a great tool to show your prospective clients on how much work goes into a design…Great job!!

FreePrintingSamples.com

- Print Samples + 1.22.10 | 2:47 pm

Simply brilliant! I was excited to see we follow a very similar workflow however your work simply blows me away!! You keep doin’ what you do and I’ll keep learning.

- chris ragan + 1.6.11 | 11:16 am

Web design ecommerce question. How do I set up individual accounts for each customer?

- Best Web Design Singapore + 9.26.11 | 4:53 am

I would actually love watching this in slowmotion! I’m studying graphic design and still in the learning process, so this video would definetively help a lot if I could watch it in slow motion. NICE design by the way! :) Are you using Adobe Illustrator?

- Anette + 10.25.11 | 5:18 am

Love the colour and clarity!

- oleymedia + 11.11.13 | 7:27 pm

Let us seem at how guard towers had been constructed with protection in thoughts.

There are unpredictible aspects in the game at the same time.
Players can manipulate everything in that world in
order to create anything that their heart desires.

Their second advantage is that there hasn’t been the killer video calling app that got a huge sizable member base that
will allow most people to have most of their friends on it.
Check out the slideshow for some visuals of the changes at Sunsong Ranch, and subscribe to Allie here, on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest for more tips as 5.
It had the path to the file which I compared with the path on the actual target file system.

- App Nana Unlimited Nanas Hack + 1.16.15 | 4:48 pm

De ce fait, l’envie de pirater est moins forte dés qu’il
faut mettre la most important au portefeuille.

Wow, that’s what I was searchiing for, what a material!
existing here at this blog, thanks admin of this website.

- ribolov Akcije + 3.21.15 | 3:43 am

We would like to introduce our new GUI theme

- freeminecraftaccount.hrefz.com + 8.22.15 | 10:29 am

This is my first time go to see at here and i am really happy to read everthing at alone place.

- create tshirt + 9.11.15 | 8:28 pm

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation however I find this
matter to be actually something that I believe I’d never understand.

It seems too complex and extremely wide for me. I am having a look forward on your subsequent post, I will attempt to get the
hang of it!

- Bitcoin on Steroids + 9.15.15 | 7:52 pm

If you wish for to increase your familiarity only keep visiting this site and be updated with the hottest gossip posted here.

- Bernadine + 9.18.15 | 12:36 am

Find a company which provides this kind of service within their packages.
Even if there’s just a little bit of moisture, the possibility of mold infestation is high.
If you can provide the elbow grease, and clean up the most visibly obvious cause
of odors, the Bio3Blaster can do the rest.

- primus green Energy + 10.21.15 | 3:57 pm

Hi, your website is really good. We all do appreciate you good posts.

- www.youtube.com + 10.22.15 | 3:56 pm

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a
blog that’s equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.
The problem is something that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.

I’m very happy I stumbled across this in my hunt for
something relating to this.

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering issues with
your blog. It appears like some of the written text within your posts are running off the
screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening
to them too? This might be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
Kudos

- angled eyeliner brush + 2.3.16 | 4:35 am

Me ha flipado tu escrito. Hace al menos 6 años que sufro lo mismo.
Te entiendo.

- Abe + 3.3.16 | 4:43 am

You’ll be able to pay a visit to our Weblog where you may Restaurant Furnishings In Florida uncover a number of beneficial information on ArticleMs How To resolve and repair difficulties and likewise other topics.nnFor instance, we could use the Tyco EC-14 prolonged-protection pendent sprinkler (Okay=14.) in a (Ordinary hazard group
1) restaurant service region to protect an 18′ x 18′ location,
however right here the information sheet parameters require a
forty nine gpm minimal discharge at 12.three psi for the tip-sprinkler.

- grosfillex + 3.11.16 | 2:34 pm

As you get started having progressively more accomplishment in the video game, the wait moment to upgrade
increases until you want to work with your diamonds.

- boom beach cheats android 2015 + 3.19.16 | 11:38 pm

Helpful info. Lucky me I found your web site accidentally, and I’m stunned why this
coincidence did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

かなり緩やかだったときもあったことが知られていますが、審査結果を出すときは、
資金が、ほぼ全てではないでしょうか。このところ審査に必要な時間でキャッシングできる即日が評判になっています。
どうも最近ではキャッシングという言葉とローンという言語の意味するところが、どちらにもとれるようになってきており、利用されるのが一般的になっています。
すぐにお金が必要だ!なんて方は、はっきり言って、いいと思います。その日のうちにお金を準備してほしいという場合は、サービスだと思います。
即日とは、実際に申込当日に、利用申し込みをした額面どおりの入金をしてくれますが、そこで一緒に、本人口座にお金が入る違っていたなんてのは珍しくありません。

- お金を借りる + 6.4.16 | 12:56 pm

I’m very happy to find this website. I want to to thank you
for your time for this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every bit
of it and I have you saved to fav to check out new things on your site.

- busje verkopen + 6.16.16 | 2:08 am

insurance agent salary

- Lorraine Churchfield + 7.24.16 | 10:39 am

Soccer betting has overtaken horse race betting in the UK
as the primary source of income for bookmakers.
It has includes a SD memory card slot that permits folks to view and share
digital photographs and HD video. To overcome this problem, many trusted e-commerce sites, selling hearing
aids have now partnered with the local ENT doctors in particular areas to get that re-programming done for people.

- Florencia + 7.25.16 | 6:52 am

老眼という症状は治らないそうです。沢山の患者さんがそう感じてることでしょう。しかし、この件は半分が本当のことで、半分は誤りです。老眼は目の老化状態の一部です。なので、ある程度老化が進んでしまえば、老眼を元に治療することはかなり難易度が高いと思われます。しかし、その悪化を抑制したり、症状を解消させたり、30代であれば老眼そのものを予防したりといったことは、決して不可能ではありません。目も加え、私たちの身体は常に老化していきます。だけど、最適なケアにより、それを少々コントロールしていけることが、多くの研究から明らかになってきているのです。老眼は独力で改善可能です。その際、みなさんにちゃんと頭に入れてほしいことが、体全体で老化防止の処置を取り組んでいくことです。その訳は、老眼は数々の生活習慣病と同様に、現在までの生活習慣がすごく関与しているから。たとえば、食生活や睡眠、運動とかです。老化を防ぐ食べ物や生活習慣等々も多数ご紹介していきます。絶対、それらを完遂し、身体全体から目の老化を改善してください。

- 老眼回復トレーニング + 7.28.16 | 8:18 am

Hoy los precios en lo que al satélite se refiere son cada vez más ajustados en España donde siempre hemos tenido cuotas por encima de otros países europeos (en referencia a precios de ADSL) como Francia, Reino Unido, Estonia Alemania. Pero ya les decíamos, que quede claro que la banda ancha no compartida por satélite nada tiene que ver con el ADSL, es más eficaz y permite servicios bidireccionales. El problema del Internet por Satelite, es el precio, en paises latinoamericanos, es muy dificil poder pagar este servicio. Me gustaria que se contactara alguie conmigo para informarme de servicios y costos de internet satelital en mi area.

- Lane Alzugaray + 7.28.16 | 12:21 pm

Ꮪupеrb post.Ne’er knew this, thanks for letting
me know.

- Bao dien Tu + 8.1.16 | 5:01 pm

例を挙げれば予習を思い起こしてください。
予習は大抵は「ワークブックの何ページから何ページまでやる。」という様に範囲が決まっていますよね。やるべきことが決まっていれば、気は進まないものの、とにかくやってやろう。という様子にもなります。そして、やり終えたときには、ささやかながら達成感も味わえたりして・・・予習は一言でいうと目標のようなものです。受験勉強を効率よく進めていくためにはこのノルマを凄く
自覚することが必須です。ノルマが決定されていればともあれ実行するしかありません。

- 中3 成績 下がる + 8.10.16 | 3:38 am

「今日は何と無しに、ゆるくしとこうかな?」カナフレックス2chさんを昼食に誘うつもりで連絡を入れたら、一言目がこれでした。

なので、今日、まさしくに久々にカナフレックス2chさんに逢いました。

- カナフレックス2ch + 9.27.16 | 9:15 am

責任感がおもいきり強く、社会への適応性に富む。

- 黒田武稔 + 9.30.16 | 8:12 am

Genuinely when someone doesn’t know then its up to other visitors that
they will help, so here it happens.

Usually posts some incredibly fascinating stuff like this. If youre new to this site.

- Google + 10.2.16 | 11:56 pm

Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this web site, as i want enjoyment, for
the reason that this this site conations in fact pleasant funny stuff too.

- poker ace99 + 10.4.16 | 3:52 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >Mottsy Logo Design Movie
Mattson Creative <Liked it!

- game server + 10.8.16 | 3:35 am

we like to honor quite a few other world-wide-web web sites on the internet, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages really worth checking out

- インフルエンザ + 10.8.16 | 7:31 pm

we like to honor numerous other world wide web internet sites on the net, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages really worth checking out

- Brain + 10.10.16 | 9:29 pm

Below youll find the link to some web sites that we assume you need to visit.

- Google + 10.10.16 | 11:02 pm

Thanks for finally talking about >Mottsy Logo
Design Movie Mattson Creative <Loved it!

- east timor hotel + 10.11.16 | 5:00 pm

always a major fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but dont get lots of link adore from

- personalised shot glass + 10.12.16 | 5:50 am

we prefer to honor quite a few other internet web sites around the web, even though they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages worth checking out

- car cleaning + 10.20.16 | 1:52 pm

that may be the finish of this post. Here youll locate some sites that we assume youll enjoy, just click the links over

- funny pictures + 10.22.16 | 4:09 pm

below youll come across the link to some web pages that we think it is best to visit

- ran zituni fraud + 10.25.16 | 2:25 am

below youll obtain the link to some sites that we believe you need to visit

- prostate vibrator + 10.26.16 | 8:13 pm

that could be the finish of this report. Here youll come across some sites that we consider you will value, just click the links over

- anal lube + 10.27.16 | 12:48 am

Thanks for finally writing about >Mottsy Logo Design Movie Mattson Creative <Loved it!

- crawford buick gmc + 10.30.16 | 5:53 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >Mottsy Logo Design Movie Mattson Creative
<Loved it!

- 好評ベスト5社 看護師 転職 + 10.31.16 | 1:28 am

we prefer to honor a lot of other online web pages on the net, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages really worth checking out

- FREE Personality Test + 11.2.16 | 10:55 pm

usually posts some quite fascinating stuff like this. If youre new to this site

- eeotic stories + 11.3.16 | 9:09 pm

that could be the finish of this post. Right here you will discover some internet sites that we consider youll appreciate, just click the links over

Find more there:

[…]I am now not sure where you are getting your info, however good topic.[…]

- love quote + 11.5.16 | 4:59 am

…Recent Blogroll Additions

[…]Wow, marvelous weblog format! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for?[…]

- manage dedicated server + 11.5.16 | 8:59 pm

we prefer to honor quite a few other internet internet sites on the internet, even though they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out

- Toned In Ten Review + 11.6.16 | 4:41 am

we prefer to honor numerous other world-wide-web web sites on the internet, even though they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Underneath are some webpages worth checking out

- Drug rehabilitation programs + 11.8.16 | 12:00 am

usually posts some quite interesting stuff like this. If youre new to this site

- Hotwire Hotels + 11.10.16 | 11:28 am

Si hubiera que hablar de experiencia, Bronpi sería la palabra, sin duda uno de los fabricantes españoles com más experiencia en el mercado en fuego, ya que llevan más de 20 años fabricando todo tipo de chimeneas y estufas de leña, barbacoas y demás equipos relacionados con la calefacción y el fuego. Coleccionar, clasificar, almacenar y preservar documentos (libros, revistas, periódicos, mapas, discos, fotos) para la lectura y la consulta, centros de información y de documentación del sector privado, y filmotecas yvideotecas del sector privado que únicamente tienen como fin la conservación de su material para que sea consultado al público en general y que formen parte de la Red Nacional de Bibliotecas Públicas.

- Servicio Técnico Bluesky Madrid + 11.12.16 | 2:15 pm

that is the finish of this article. Right here you will discover some internet sites that we consider youll value, just click the links over

- Myers briggs personality test + 11.13.16 | 6:01 am

always a major fan of linking to bloggers that I like but dont get quite a bit of link really like from

- pc games free download for windows 10 + 11.15.16 | 1:04 pm

always a massive fan of linking to bloggers that I really like but dont get a great deal of link enjoy from

At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, when having
my breakfast coming again to read other news.

- Adjustable-rate mortgages + 11.16.16 | 6:18 pm

we like to honor a lot of other web websites on the web, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages worth checking out

- Lease line in Saudi arabia + 11.16.16 | 7:15 pm

we prefer to honor numerous other internet web-sites around the net, even though they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out

- how to relief herpes pain + 11.17.16 | 1:28 pm

Always a massive fan of linking to bloggers that I like but dont get quite a bit of link love from.

- Google + 11.18.16 | 9:39 pm

we like to honor numerous other online internet sites on the internet, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Beneath are some webpages worth checking out

- android games free download + 11.19.16 | 4:05 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >Mottsy Logo Design Movie Mattson Creative <Liked it!

- shop cho thuê trang phục + 11.25.16 | 9:35 pm

that may be the finish of this report. Right here youll come across some web-sites that we consider youll appreciate, just click the links over

- action games for android + 11.27.16 | 8:26 am

that may be the finish of this article. Here youll uncover some internet sites that we think you will value, just click the links over

- Free Download For Windows 7 + 11.28.16 | 4:33 pm

below youll find the link to some web-sites that we assume you’ll want to visit

- pc games free download for windows 10 + 11.29.16 | 4:12 am

we like to honor a lot of other online web-sites around the net, even if they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out

- 福井歯医者 + 11.30.16 | 1:58 am